Etymologists trace the origin of the word "chocolate" to the Aztec word "xocoatl," which referred to a bitter drink brewed from cacao beans. The Latin name for the cacao tree, Theobroma cacao, means "food of the gods." Many modern historians have estimated that chocolate has been around for about 2000 years, but recent research suggests that it may be even older.
It's hard to pin down exactly when chocolate was born, but it's clear that it was cherished from the start.
1/2 cup cashews (2.5 ounces) or almonds or pistachios, soaked overnight and drained
1/2 cup pecans (1.8 ounces) or hazelnuts or walnuts, soaked overnight and drained
1/4 cup either coconut oil (1.8 ounces) or cocoa butter (1 ounce)
1/2 cup (1 ounce) cacoa powder
6-8 dates, pitted
2 tablespoons currants
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
Pinch of sea salt
In a double boiler, heat cocoa butter or coconut oil until almost melted (heat not to exceed 118 if still want it to be raw)
Place place cashews, pecans and cocoa butter in food processor and pulse until finely ground.
Add cacoa powder, dates, currants, hemp seeds and sea salt. Pulse until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and a chocolate dough forms.
Roll into 1 ½ inch balls. Roll or sprinkle truffles in choice ingredient(s)
Refrigerate for up to one hour.
Optional add-ins to chocolate and traditionally used as/to*:
- 1 teaspoon maca powder - adaptogenic, positive effect on hormone balance, energy & aphrodisiac
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen - immunity booster & antioxidant
- 1 teaspoon baobab powder - energy release, immune function & healthy skin
- 1 teaspoon goji berries - antioxidant & immune booster
- 1 teaspoon cocoa nibs - magnesium, potassium & increase mood
- Pinch of chilli powder - antioxidant, energy booster & increase cognitive function
- Pinch of turmeric - antioxidant & anti-inflammatory
- Pinch of cardamon - reduces nausea, acidity, bloating, gas, loss of appetite & constipation
- Pinch of cinnamon - lower blood sugar levels & reduce heart disease risk factors
- Drop of vanilla or 1 vanilla bean, scraped - magnesium, potassium, calcium & aphrodisiac
*The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
Roll in or sprinkle on ideas:
- Cacao powder
- Medicinal mushrooms
- Maca powder
- Rose petals
- Grated Lemon rind
- Crushed seeds or nuts like pepitos, walnuts, almonds or hemp seeds
- Foraged finds like shepards purse, chia sage seeds, etc.