Buttermilk Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Quinoa Brittle
Naturally gluten free this dessert is a great alternative to traditional pumpkin pie.
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vital proteins gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- Whipped topping of choice (optional)
- Quinoa Pumpkin Seed Brittle (optional)
1. In a large saucepan combine whipping cream, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, salt, pumpkin and spices. Stirring constantly, bring to a slight boil making sure that mixture does not boil over.
In a medium size bowl add gelatin and cold water. Whisk well making sure that gelatin and water is completely combined.
2. Whisk in the hot buttermilk mixture, stirring well to make sure that all of the gelatin is dissolved.
3. Pour panna cotta into ½ pint mason jars or vessel of choice. Refrigerate for at least 3-5 hours until set. Top with whipped cream and quinoa brittle (recipe below).
A healthy twist on traditional brittle.
- 1 cup mixed sprouted pumpkin seeds, chopped (or a combo of other seeds and nuts like sunflower, pecans, chia, walnuts, etc.)
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice (agave, honey, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour mixture into the center of the cookie sheet. Spread the mixture out. Don’t worry about thickness. When the brittle bakes the brittle will spread out even more.
4. Bake for 10. Then check every 5 minutes until mixture has hardened. Take out of the oven and let cool. Crumble into bite sized pieces.