Homemade Cough Syrup
When I was growing up, getting sick with a cough and sore throat meant staying in bed and drinking spoonfuls of red liquid. I never thought about other options until I had my own children, and then I started to question the ingredients that were in that drugstore red stuff. Luckily, we now have healthier cough syrup options at health food stores, but if you want to take your healthcare one step further you can easily make your own! Cough syrup is one of the simplest medicines you can make at home, and this recipe really works wonders on coughs and sore throats. It also tastes delicious - even my kids think it's good.
To make this 2 (or 3) ingredient cough syrup you will need:
- 1/2 onion
- 1-3 cloves of garlic (optional, but I recommend it, as it will boost the healing power of your syrup)
1. First, finely chop up your garlic if you are using it. Let it sit out on the counter for 10 minutes for best results.
2. Next, coarsely chop up your onion and put it into a small saucepan.
3. Add the garlic on top and pour over enough honey to cover your onion.
4. Gently heat on low until the onion is translucent.
5. You can then strain your syrup into a mason jar or other vessel for storage.
6. Store in the fridge and take 1t as needed to soothe your cough and/or sore throat.
Photos by Brittany Smith