Nothing says holiday like having mulled drink. It makes your home smell amazing all the while having a cozy, tasty drink to serve! There are so many ways to create a mulling spice blend. This blend combines some of my favorite spices.
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cardamon pods
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 2 ½ inch thick slices fresh ginger (or 2 teaspoons dried ginger root)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise, whole pod
- 1 vanilla bean
- Zest of 1 orange (or 2 teaspoons orange peel)
- ½ gallon organic apple cider or low sulfide red wine
1. Put nutmeg and cardamon pods in a bag and whack with a heavy rolling pin to break into pieces.
2. Heat apple cider or wine in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat( you can make on a wood stove or in a crock pot too).
3. Add nutmeg, cardamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, star anise and orange zest. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the inside and add to pan.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes or until desired flavor is achieved.
5. if you wish, add rum to taste
6. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids.
7. Serve warm