Summer is here and the 4th of July is just around the corner! One of my favorite go to recipes is this strawberry shortcake! The biscuits are buttery and the sweetness from the strawberries and the rich cream just makes this summer time treat irresistible. So plan a get together and add this to your spread. You won't be disappointed!
• 2 cups flour
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 6 teaspoons baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 pints strawberries
• whipped heavy cream or coconut cream sweetened with confectioner's sugar or maple syrup for topping
1. Set oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl.
3. Cut in chilled butter.
4. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Add more liquid if necessary until mixture comes together.
5. Drop mixture onto cooking sheet (enough to create 8 biscuits)
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until biscuits are a light golden brown.
7. While biscuits are baking cut up strawberries and prepare whipped topping of choice. You can go the more traditional route and whip a little confectioner's sugar or maple syrup with heavy cream. Or, my new favorite, refrigerate a can of coconut cream for at least 7 hours, then whip a little confectioner's sugar or maple syrup with the coconut cream.
8. When biscuits come out of oven let them cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Slice in half and fill with strawberries and top with cream.
Photos by Lauren Ross