This savory galette is crowd pleaser. The filling uses acorn squash but kabocha, delicata or butternut squash would work nicely too! Perfect for a cozy winter evening.
For the sourdough pastry (or use 1 store bought refrigerated pie crust if you are in a pinch):
- 1 cups white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 sticks butter, cut into 1/2" cubes and chilled*
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
For the filling
- ½ acorn squash (thinly sliced, skin on)
- ½ apple (thinly sliced, skin on)
- ½ red onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup blue cheese
Directions for Sourdough pastry:
1. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, salt and sugar.
2. Cut in the butter with your fingers until it resembles a coarse meal, with some chunks of butter remaining.
3. Gradually stir in the starter and fold in with a spatula until it starts to come together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
5. Using the heel of your hand, you want to scrape the dough across the counter, kind of smearing the butter through the dough.
6. Repeat about 5 to 7 times.
7. Gather the dough into two equal balls, wrap with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for 7 hours or overnight.
Directions for Filling:
1. Place sliced acorn squash, apple and onion in a medium sized bowl.
2. Finely chop herbs and add to acorn squash mixture. Toss with melted butter butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough until it's about 1/8 inch thick and 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Gradually spread filling onto 12 inch round dough. Fold and pleat the dough over the edge of the filling.
6. Bake for 55 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle the top with blue cheese. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, cut and serve.
Happy cooking! Emma
Photos by Brittany Smith