Soaking grains can help ease digestion and make nutrients more readily available to the body. This granola uses this technique and the result is more flavorful and nutrient rich granola. I like to use dried tart cherries, coconut chips and hazelnuts but really any dried fruits and nuts will do!
- 5 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup coconut kefir, coconut yogurt or coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup roasted and coursely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened dried tart cherries
1. Combine oats, water and coconut milk in large bowl. Mixture should be moist but not wet. Cover and let sit for 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit
3. Add coconut chips, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and hazelnuts. Mix until incorporated.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat lightly melt coconut oil and add maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Stir well.
5. Add maple syrup and oil mixture to oat mixture.
6. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly divide and spread out granola mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or longer until dark golden brown, stirring mixture every 15 minutes to promote even browning. Set cookie sheets on a cooling rack. Once cool add dried cherries send transfer to airtight container.
Enjoy on yogurt, in porridge or as a stand alone snack. The possibilities are endless. Granola makes a great gift for any occasion as well:)