I use our "Beautyshare" oil based face cleanser and my skin is so much happier! Once every week or two, though, I substitute cleansing grains for my oil based cleanser. These cleansing grains are exfoliating, without disrupting the skin's protective layer, and without stripping moisture. Even better, they can also be applied and used as a mask. I use bentonite clay in my cleansing grains, along with gluten-free oats and my favorite skin – nurturing herbs. You can switch up the ratios to make the consistency perfect for your skin type, but a good place to start is:
- 1 cup organic, gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup bentonite clay
- 1/2 cup of dried herbs (try any combination of calendula, chamomile, lavender and rose)
Directions for cleanser:
- Grind all ingredients in an herb grinder, a coffee grinder (but not one you use for grinding coffee beans), or a mortar and pestle.
- Mix together and store in a glass jar with a tight lid. Stored this way, your cleansing grains will last for many months.
- To use, put a scoop of cleansing grains in your hand and mix with a little water or toner, massage onto face, and wash off with warm water and/or a warm, wet washcloth.
- Follow with toner, serum and moisturizer.
Directions for mask:
- apply as above and leave on until dry
- Once completely dry, wash off with warm water and a warm, wet washcloth.
- Follow with toner and moisturizer.
If I have a little extra time, I like to mix up my cleansing grain mask with organic, raw, local honey and our balancing toner. This is the ultimate treat for your face! To make, blend a scoopful of cleansing grains with a tablespoon of honey and enough toner to make it the right consistency - not too runny but not too dry to spread. Leave on for ten minutes before rinsing off.
Photos by Lauren Ross