Lacto Fermented Salsa
If you are not sure where to start when it comes to fermenting fruits and vegetables this is such an easy and tasty recipe to begin with. What I like about this salsa recipe is that it is light and fresh tasting! The fermentation process just adds a little more depth and flavor. Serve on tacos, your favorite buddha bowl or with chips. Or add an avocado and fresh corn, maybe even some black beans after the fermentation process and you have a yummy salad!
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil for drizzling (or cabbage leaf)
Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a large bowl. Toss well.
- Transfer to quart size jar. Drizzle with olive oil and/or top with cabbage leaf.
- Loosely close the lid. Let sit on counter at least 3 days. Taste on day 3 to decide whether to ferment longer.
- When salsa is to your liking close lid completely and transfer to refrigerator.
Photos by Lauren Ross