Most store bought coconut yogurt has extra fillers like gums and carrageenan. I like to make my coconut yogurt with fresh Thai young coconuts and without the fillers. The recipe below just involves two ingredients and the flavor is out of this world.
How To Make Raw, Dairy-Free Coconut Yogurt:
Makes about 1 quart
- 1 Thai young coconut
- 2 probiotic capsules
- Vitamix or blender of choice
- 1 quart glass jar with lid
1. Sterilize the jar: Either by using your dishwasher or submerging the glass jar in hot boiling water for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Open two Thai young coconuts by piercing a large hole in the top of the coconut and pouring the coconutwater into the Vitamix then scrape the inside of the coconut so that all flesh can be used in the yogurt mixture as well. Blend on high for a minute or so.
3. Open the probiotic capsules and pour the powdery contents over the milk (discard the capsule’s casing). Blend for 30 seconds.
4. Pour the coconut mixture into the sterilized jar and screw on the lid. Place into the oven set at 100 degrees F — turn the oven light on to keep the environment warm. Alternatively, use a yogurt maker, place into a dehydrator at 110°F or use a insulated camping cooler with a pot of boiling water inside the cooler. Leave for 12 to 24 hours without disturbing.
5. Place the set yogurt into the fridge and chill for at least 6 hours. The yogurt will become thicker as it chills.
6. Keep coconut yogurt refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
Photos by Brittany Smith